Saturday, April 11, 2009

Networking- For business or for pleasure?

The power of relationships established through networking has definitely benefited me as an individual. I secured my current internship through a ‘second-degree’ level of contact as LinkedIn would describe it. Having tirelessly searched for internships on Indeed, my Business school career site amongst other job sites, I almost gave up on the job search. However, I got referral from someone I met in a social gathering. Likewise, my pre-MBA job was also secured through referral from a friend.

However, this week, an interesting article - The Savvy Networker caught my attention. On reading the article, I discovered that the article basically highlights mistakes of individuals on perceived connotation of networking from the business/Job search perspective. It tactically eludes the social aspect to networking. This brings up the question in my mind why networking is often perceived only from the professional/ job search perspective.

Drawing from the examples of my pre-MBA job and current internship which were secured through ‘Social networking’ contacts, it is evident that professional networks can be built or established even from social networking. However, many people tend to distinctly differentiate between the two thereby missing the opportunity of achieving professional networking benefits though social networking activities. Making deliberate attempts to build professional contacts might not be enough.... That happy, cheerful and ‘unimportant’ barber you visit twice a month might just be your link to landing you a dream job if the CEO of the prospect firm is his customer. In my opinion, there’s just a grey area between social and professional networking. Think about it!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your posting--there is definitely a grey area in the overlapping space between social and professional networking. I think it has been expanded over the past 5-10 years due to the informalities new technologies have introduced into the the workplace. I would have to say though, I kind of like it. I had a great example of a positive crossing of the spheres 2 Christmases ago. I went to holiday party at a colleague's (who had really become a friend) house. To my surprise our department director was there and quite tipsy. She was telling me about one of her good friends who started a consulting company and was looking for good people. One thing led to another and I landed a pretty sweet internship there last summer. I would note that it's important to be the "less drunk" one in conversations where you intend to mix business and pleasure networking, but also don't forget to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grey area is the unknown. Linkedin sites are a platform to have others vouch for you like someone vouching for someone to join the "Family" if you will.

    If your contact says you can be trusted, you can be trusted. To me, vouching for someone is huge. Your name is on the line when you put someone in contact with someone you trust. Who said you can't learn alot from The Godfather?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete